If you are an organization and want to support, partner or sponsor this event, email at: email@example.com
Deadline for Submission: December 31st, 2015
For articles already accepted and published under contest, click here: http://blogs.jpmsonline.com/category/contest/
Please note that the same link also contains articles from JPMS International Medical Writing Contest 2012, 2013 and 2014.
1. My story (real life stories that can move, teach and inspire other health professionals)
2. Medicine beyond borders (we are seeking accounts of clinicians from all across the world. eg: Clinician encounters, healthcare practices)
3. Leveraging technology for an integrated healthcare system
4. Matters of mental health
5. Exploring the dimensions of holistic medicine
6. Challenges and solutions pertaining to global/public health
7. Social, Print and Electronic Media and the Medical Community
8. Medical Education – the Good, Bad and Untold
9. “That which must not be named” – noteworthy medical issues and their solutions
10. Evidence based medicine, classic papers in literature or miscellaneous significant topucs in Internal medicine and surgery and allied.
Honorable Jury Members:
Jury members for the upcoming 2015 contest will be announced later. However, our respected jury members for the 2014 contest are as follows:
Dr Asim A. Shah, MD (Profile at Baylor College of Medicine’s Website)
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences,
Associate Professor, Family and Community Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine,
Associate Chief of Psychiatry, Harris County Hospital District & Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Dr Kulsoom Ghias, PhD
Assistant Professor and Vice Chair of the Undergraduate (MBBS) Program, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Dr Syed Abdul Aziz
Scientist, Regulatory Toxicology Research Division, Bureau of Chemical Safety Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada;
Adjunct professor, Faculty of Medicine Dept. of Pathology and Lab Medicine, University of Ottawa;
Member of the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, Admissions Committee;
Editorial Board member for PLoS ONE, Human Molecular Genetics, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, British Medical Journal;
Member of the external review committee for National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada,
Sir Frederick Banting research Institute, D-401 Banting, Building, Postal Locator 2202D,
251 Sir Frederick Banting Driveway, Tunney’s Pasture,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- All posts will be scored on the basis of two parameters:
A. 60% of scores will be awarded by the judges. The judges will be from prestigious international institutes and are not necessarily from the editorial team of JPMS. If the number of submissions is greater than 30, a list of top 10 will be selected by the junior editors and sent to the judges.
B. 40% of scores awarded in the basis of promotion, reflected by the number of website hits, shares and likes.
- There is no submission or registration fee. It’s a free contest.
- Submission can be made online at: http://blogs.jpmsonline.com/writing-contest/
- The final date to receive (submit) your contribution(s) is 31st December, 2015. Late entries will not be considered.
- All submissions must contain original material, and must not have been previously published, accepted for publication, or have been a winner in another contest prior to the submission deadline.
- All plagiarized contributors will be rejected automatically so please maintain originality. After screening by the Co-Chairs the eligible posts will be put up on the website (all the articles will appear on the site within a window of 10 days).
- Eligibility of the post as decided by the Jury Board will be final and binding and cannot be challenged under any laws.
- Each person can send in multiple entries. Contest entries cannot be revised or altered once submitted.
- There is no word limit, however it will be preferred if the word count is between 400-1200. On average, 500 words will be preferred.
- We request contributors to refrain from political statements and critique on government policies unless they can be substantiated by facts from peer reviewed journals.
- Similarly, discussing religious aspects and personal beliefs is strongly discouraged.
- The JPMS Medical Blogs Admin has a similar policy of handling comments which will be posted in response to the entries.
- Contributions should not have any implication in terms of religion, politics etc.
- Read the Policies and disclaimer for more information about JPMS Medical Blogs Polices.
We send cash prizes to the top 3 participants. The winner and the first two runners-up will get the cash prizes.
Top 10 entries are given a certificate signed by faculty members from Johns Hopkins and our honorable judges.
Additional prizes/categories of prizes may be declared on the basis of availability of funds/sponsors in the future.
Medical and non-medical professionals along with students, are welcomed to participate. (Being a Medical student/Doctor is not mandatory to participate).
Jury will collect data on the metric from the website and score award the entries accordingly. Date of the results will be announced later.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality and innovation
- Quality of content
- Focus and clarity
- Organized, fluid writing style
- Authenticity, strength and distinctness of voice
In case of a tie the decision of the Chief Editor, JPMS Medical Blogs will be final.
Winners will be declared as a press release, which will be posted on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, RSS Feed and LinkedIn profile in addition to the JPMS Official website along with the JPMS Medical Blogs website. The social media direct reach of JPMS is approximately 5000 and indirect reach is more than 0.5 Million. The websites have approximately 8000 page views per month. The winners will also be notified via an email.
For more details see Terms and Conditions.
Terms and conditions
- Participants shall retain all ownership rights of the Submission and Assignment materials. However, by entering the competition, participants hereby grant to JPMS a universal, un-conditional,non-exclusive, non-expiring, transferable, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, display, adapt, reformat, translate, and otherwise exploit and perform all or any portion of the Submission for any purpose whatsoever, including, without limitation, in connection with the JPMS network of internet websites and print issues, wireless applications, interactive television, video on demand and any other media or technology (including, without limitation, internet protocol, wireless or interactive platforms or interfaces) through which the JPMS distribute content to end users, whether now existing or hereafter developed (the “Platforms”), in any and all media formats and through any and all media distribution and advertising and promotional purposes, without accounting, notification, credit or other obligation to the Participants.
- The decision on the Jury Board will be deemed final cannot be challenged anywhere.
- Members of the JPMS Editorial Board (Senior Editors, Editors, Online Editors and Associate Editors) are NOT allowed to participate in the blog. However, the Staff from Public Relation Section and the reviewers are eligible.
- All rules and regulations are subject to reasonable change as required. By agreeing to this Terms and Conditions you automatically agree to future changes.
- The Co-chairs as well as The Jury Board are not involved in distribution of prizes. Distribution of prizes is the responsibility of JPMS-Open Access Publisher.
- All participants are free to share and publicize their posts in JPMS Medical Blog as much as they can in any social media platform they may choose. However use of any malware/programs to artificially increase the hits/likes/shares will be strictly dealt with as per appropriate cyber laws and banned from this contest.
- The Jury shall have the right to disqualify any entries that they deem to be obscene, vulgar, derogatory, inappropriate, or otherwise not in good taste as determined by the Jury in their sole discretion.
Direct any queries about the contest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of an Article for the Contest
Thank you for taking part in the contest.
Co Chairs of the Event:
Dr. Anum Wasim (Pakistan)
Hafsa Mohiuddin (Pakistan)
Dr. Saima Khan (Pakistan)
Dr. Abdul Nafey Kazi (Pakisatn)
Dr. Anis Rehman (USA)
Dr. Haris Riaz (USA)
Dr Kamran Mustaq (Pakistan)
Join our team as ambassadors to promote the event in your institute.
Email us at email@example.com if you would like to promote the event at your university and want to join the this team.
FLYER: Please click on this flyer to enlarge and download. Share via social media or email!